Friday, August 29, 2014

Light 'em up.

One of my new favorite authors is Glennon Melton. She's smart, frank, funny, and totally refreshing. She posted this on instagram the other day and I just loved every word of it...

"What every child wants to know is, "do your eyes light up when i walk in the room?"- Toni Morrison. Today is Amma's first day of first grade. When she finished getting dressed this morning, I brought her over to the mirror and stood behind her while she took in her first grade self. She kept her eyes fixed on herself and said: "Mama, when Dada sees me, his hawt (heart) is going to explode." Well then, I thought. I married well. 

Moms and Dads- I don't think it matters whether you are rich or poor or healthy or struggling or divorced or nuclear or gay or straight or working or home. I think all that matters is that when your kid sees herself through your eyes- she feels worthy of a heart explosion. 

Your kid doesn't need you to be 'better'. She just needs to know that you are DELIGHTED by her. At least once a day. That's it. That's the whole she-bang. 

Doesn't matter if yesterday was a bad one at home. Doesn't matter if money's tight or if stress is high or if the whole damn world is falling apart. All that matters is: Do your eyes light up when you see your baby? 

Light 'em up, today. 

Love, G"


(Thank you, gorgeous Jill, for this incredible heart exploding picture! It makes me experience every single happy feeling!)

No comments:

Post a Comment