One of my favorite things about Birmingham is the Kids Mercedes Marathon initiative. Starting at the very beginning of elementary school, the kids start logging running miles during their P.E. time. By the time they've reached this weekend, the kids who are participating have logged 25.2 miles. Saturday morning, the Mercedes Marathon hosts a kids race to finish the last mile of their marathon. When they cross the line, they get a legit marathon finisher medal. I love this idea. The kids get to enjoy the excitement of a race from a young age, it gives them a goal to work towards, and it's not instant gratification... they've been working up to this for 6 months.
This Saturday was a perfect day for a race! It was cold but not too cold. There wasn't a cloud in the sky. You never know what you're going to get in February in Alabama so we lucked out with perfect running weather! Unfortunately, London had a really rough night the night before that landed us in the after hours clinic at 8 am on race day. She had strep throat and was so upset that she might not be able to run, but luckily the two doctors that we met with said that if she was feeling up to it, it was fine by them if she ran. The medicine for strep works almost instantly, so within a half hour of her first dose, she was ready to roll.
We met up with the twins before the race for hugs and pictures then parted ways because Caden and Lizzy ran earlier than Lu. They ran so fast! Caden ran his mile in about 7.5 mins and Lizzy was one minute behind him. London ran hers in 12:18 I think. I am so proud of all of them! I'm glad London felt well enough to run because we had such a fun day downtown! I'll admit, it was nice to be in a big packed place back in the land of the living! I've been out and about a little since the surgery but I love the energy of a good crowd and it felt awesome to be back doing normal things this weekend!


Caden got cropped because he can miraculously stop smiling the exact moment you say 'three'!

BEST FRIENDS!



Renny was in town for the weekend and it was awesome seeing this sweet hearted, smart as a whip kid! She is so cool. I love her !


I had so many sappy feelings watching this group of buddies before and after the race! These are London's friends from her school and they were all so excited to be racing together! They were level 10 hyper but it was a perfectly appropriate time to be that way! These are some good kids with some really great parents. Watching London find her place with a group of really great kids brings such relief and thankfulness for where the Lord has placed us. He is so evidently before all things and I don't take for granted that we are watching Him bless our lives so richly.


Knox and London out of the gate! :)

The final turn before the finish line!


A MARATHON finisher!!

Showing off their bling!



THREE Marathoners! :)







No comments:
Post a Comment