Sunday, December 23, 2012

A serious post....

I am hoping to get at least 2 posts up tonight in an effort to catch up before Christmas, but one I've held onto has been my thoughts on what happened in Newtown, Connecticut. We've all heard plenty on the topic, but at our quiet little house, we don't have cable. And I don't use the computer at night. So my exposure has simply been a mother's thoughts and God's holy word.

I've thought so much about what happened. Two beats of my own heart are 5 years old..... it is too real and terrifying to even finish that thought with the 'what if's'. My best friend is a teacher and we have talked in depth about how part of her job duty is to be a human barricade should bullets pierce the safety of her room, this without concern for the children that she raises in her own home.  Even just typing the words... a hotness swells in me. A heartbroken heart turns to steel. You see, I am a mother and like all mothers, I say without hesitation, 'over my dead body' to anything happening to my child without my consent. So this tragedy turns us momma's to pure cold steel as we ache for the momma's who couldn't protect their children from this horrifying day. I stare at this blinking cursor on my screen with no words, just a hollow, dull pain for these families. But as a parent, I will cry out to God. I will be part of the chorus being lifted to the heavens for mercy to fall like rain on Newtown.
However, in light of this, the Lord has drawn me back into His faithfulness. I feel like in the wake of this awful day, the whole nation is perhaps right where it should be.... in a season of Advent. In a season of waiting and yearning for of our Savior. I’ve been reading the bible through this year and am still in the Old Testament, but these few weeks have felt like Old Testament times to me. A people crying out to God to deliver us from the sin of our nation. Crying out for forgiveness. Crying for mercy. 

I am there. I find myself lost in thought thinking, 'God come quickly.' But this aching also has turned my heart to Christmas. As the people awaited a Savior, we do too. In only a few days now, our Savior was born. Everything I live for and believe in revolves around the birth pains of a young mother 2000 years ago. The blessed birth of my Redeemer. My heart is turned towards Him in such a mighty way again.... In gratitude with a stilled heart for what his birth meant. The celebration of his birth meant the reality of His death. The next 33 years of His life were lived on mission. A mission that nailed Him to the cross for me. For yoU. For every single one of us. He came to be love. To teach us, to show us, to love us. 

I'm humbled by it all again. I will celebrate in gladness but will remember that He came fully knowing the outcome of His life. For that, I will be still and evermore thankful. I can just imagine it...

2000 years ago... The birth so long foretold...

a Savior has come to all people...

The Thrill of HOPE... the weary world REJOICES!



Lamentations 3: 25-33 (MSG)
25-27God proves to be good to the man who passionately waits, to the woman who diligently seeks. It's a good thing to quietly hope, quietly hope for help from God. It's a good thing when you're young to stick it out through the hard times.
28-30When life is heavy and hard to take, go off by yourself. Enter the silence. Bow in prayer. Don't ask questions: Wait for hope to appear. Don't run from trouble. Take it full-face. The "worst" is never the worst.
31-33Why? Because the Master won't ever walk out and fail to return. If he works severely, he also works tenderly. His stockpiles of loyal love are immense...

No comments:

Post a Comment