Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Before I Die

A month or so ago, I posted about how much we loved going to a baseball game at the new Baron's stadium. I had been reading along on the internet about this art installment that they made just across the street from the stadium. One Saturday while London was with her dad, I decided to drive uptown and check it out. It is a building wall painted in chalkboard paint and titled 'Before I Die'. It has hundreds of blank lines and chalk laid out on the wall. General passerbyers have the freedom to walk up and write in whatever they want to do before they die. It took a while to read through them all, but I was so moved by observing this freedom of expression. I was most taken by how positive, faith based, and hopeful people's entries were. There we're a number that were silly and a few that were incredibly sad. They wash the board once a week, I believe, and it's another fresh start for people to anonymously write what's in their heart. It was an emotional, interesting experience and I'm glad I went to check it out. I added my entry and loved standing back and reading my words, my wish, amidst my peers. We all have a dream. I so hope every single wish becomes a reality for the beloved people in my place. 


"....be all i was created for!"
"..... tell people how awesome Alabama is!" (we should meet!)
"..... be thought of as a good man, father & husband (and run a sub 5 marathon)."
"..... see my research impact people."
"..... help you realize how important you are!"
"..... Tango in Buenos Aires."
"..... enjoy the small things in life!"
"..... reunite with my children."
"..... be a rockstar."
"..... be on Broadway."
"..... fill every page in my passport." 
"..... finally be at peace with God."
"..... date my maintenance man."
"..... show B-ham the love of Jesus."
"..... grow a long beard like Gandolf."

No comments:

Post a Comment