Monday, November 2, 2009

Cranberry Crumb Bars

Hey everybody! I made these Cranberry Crumb Bars this weekend and they were really good! Powers specifically said they were great with coffee, so that's his 2 cents! I LOVE cranberries, so these reminded me of good ole' winter desserts! I stole this recipe and pictures from this website... Katie makes great looking food... this is the first recipe I've tried and I'll def try more! I don't know how to give legal credit for stolen pictures, so Ill just give my own disclosure that I didn't take this picture and Katie takes awesome food pics!

Cranberry Crumb Bars

Cranberry Filling
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 Tbs cornstarch
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • juice of 1/2 of an orange
  • 4 cups fresh cranberries** 

Crumb Mixture
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup almond flour/meal*
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup cold butter (2 sticks)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9×9 (or 8x8) inch pan.
In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and orange juice. Mix in the cranberries. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together 1 cup sugar, flour, almond flour, salt and baking powder. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. The dough will be crumbly. Alternatively, you can pulse the dry ingredients in a food processor with the butter until pebbly, and then mix in the egg until it all comes together. Pat half of the dough into the buttered pan.

Sprinkle the cranberry mixture evenly over the dough in the pan.

Add 1/4 tsp cinnamon to the remaining dough, then crumble dough over the berries. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until top is a light golden brown. (Watch while cooking, mine didn’t take quite this long) Cool completely and chill in the refrigerator before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

* I used whole natural almonds. Just toss them in a food processor until finely ground to make almond meal.
**stock up while cranberries are abundant in stores. Just toss them in the freezer and use as you need. They'll be good for about a year. If you're using frozen fresh cranberries for this recipe there is no need to thaw them first.

No comments:

Post a Comment