Fast forward just a few days later. This whole period of about two weeks was just a very difficult time for me. One chapter of my life closed and I wasn't sure how to process it. There are scores of people who claim that they celebrate the closing of this particular chapter of life, but I did not. I mourned instead. I very much wanted to withdraw and be alone. I didn't want to be around anyone. I just needed some space.
Luckily, about two years ago, God dropped this incredible golden egg in my life. Jill Thomas, BFF. She knows my thoughts before I think them. She protects me in the most loving, fierce way imaginable. She knew exactly what I wanted but cared enough to only give me what I needed. She gave me a few days to decompress, then picked up on the first ring saying 'Im there' before I ever even told her I didn't want to be alone anymore.
We went to hike a new trail here in Birmingham. Red Mountain Park. I told her I thought it would only take 45 minutes to an hour... that way she could get home to her kids. Silly me. Knowing she wouldn't have left until 3 am if that's what I needed. We ended up hiking for hours. Talking all the while. Some times about nothing at all. Sometimes talking about things of substance. Family. God. Kids. Friends. Books. Food. Pasts. Futures. Anything. Everything.
The path lay ahead of us, and just like Jill's done for the entirety of this year, she helped me put one foot in front of the other and allowed me to heal....
It was all so beautiful. The scenery. The history of what built this great city. The design of this particular mountain.
We ended our hike and got in our cars and went our separate ways. I got home and literally hit the floor crying over how thankful I am for this dear, sweet, gorgeous woman. She is simply the face of Grace to me. Tangible evidence that God cares deeply for me. She is His extraordinary faithfulness with skin on.
I've never met anyone who gives you so much freedom to be exactly who you need to be at any given moment. She doesn't expect me to always be happy. She isn't surprised that there are days that hurt like all get out. I've born a burden this year, but if that burden weighed 100 pounds, Jill shouldered 50 of those pounds so that I wouldn't have to do it alone. One days that I need to laugh and have fun, she is THE MOST FUN OF ALL. We practically live at her house. She is as much of a parent to London as I am. She acts like it's perfectly normal that we are just part of her family now.
She has walked every step with me. She's known of every tear, fear, and frustration. She's genuinely celebrated the victories and joys. She's prayed like a warrior over our life. She's spoken truth and encouragement and honesty over me. She rescued me.
I texted her while writing this blog and asked how long we've known each other. Her response was just exactly right...
'It doesn't feel like we've ever not known each other.'
Sweet Jesus, THANK YOU.


No comments:
Post a Comment