Saturday, July 14, 2012

Fresh Works Fest

One of the perks of living in Birmingham is that it's big enough that there is always something going on. It's also a really friendly 'poor people' city because if you're willing to drive a half hour, you can do a hundred different free things! Score!! free= my love language.
In downtown Bham there is this really interesting city block that they leveled and built and organic, self sustaining urban farm. Jones Valley Urban Farm. It's truly amazing. When we first moved here, it was no more than dirt, plants, and a pretty spectacular watering system. Over the last few years, the 'who's who' in the restaurant world have partnered up with Jones Valley and helped raise awareness and funds for this city block. Now it is really a sight to see. Very cool architecture, food demonstrations, lots of fundraising events, plus an amazing garden and animal collection! This year they held a free fest. It show cased the areas local food trucks, beer breweries, food demos, kids crafts, and some regional bands. A bunch of us all met up to see what it was all about. I'll go every year until they shut that puppy down. It was awesome. The food was INCREDIBLE. The beer, on a hot July day, was a golden beacon of refreshment. The kids loved the animals and the awesome popsicles from Steel City Pops. Plus, London and her boyfriend had a fun day date!! (As did London's mom and Knox's mom!!)
 I know. This IS the cutest picture you've ever seen! Can't you hear their wedding bells a ringin'?
  I realize that I look like a bobble head in this picture. Bad angle. London looks cute and funny though so just look at her. 
 This kinda creepy looking guy was milking goats which was really weird for me to watch. I've got to get with the program and realize that food starts here. This is the source... not the packaged goat cheese goodness I buy at the store. They let the kids come milk the goat though and it was a hit! All the kids were all about milking this guy!

All in all great day! Pass the word and tell your friends about the Fresh Works Festival for next year! It was a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment